The Azure Data Architect is a core member of the IT Analytics Team. This role will be responsible for architecting and delivering high performing, scalable and flexible cost-effective, cloud-based enterprise business data and analytics solutions. Having a strong business analysis and technical development background is a key factor in success for this opportunity. In this role, an Azure Data Architect will participate in data warehouse and data lake design. In addition to designing and developing solutions, the architect will be responsible for supporting and extending existing on-premises systems. The Azure Data Architect will engage in gathering future requirements and work with cross functional teams. This position plays a key role in fulfilling the future modern data estate strategy for the company.
1) Leads the full lifecycle of data architecture technology from gathering and understanding end-user analytics and reporting needs, collaboration for architecting the solution, detailing the technical design, implementing the solution, and validating the solution with our business partners.
2) Collaborate with other departments to design and build the data models needed to derive dashboards, reports, and insights.
3) Design and execute data protection plan for sensitive data.
4) Create conceptual, logical, and physical data models for both relational and dimensional solutions.
5) Integrate disparate data models into coherent enterprise data models.
6) Create data dictionaries and business glossaries to document data lineages, data definitions and metadata for all business-critical data domains.
7) Translate business requirements into conceptual and detailed technology solutions.
8) Design and document data architecture at multiple levels (high level to detailed) and across multiple views (conceptual, logical, physical, data flow and sequence diagrams.)
9) Keep fluent in the industry and marketplace evolution-staying current with vendor product offerings and common and emerging data solutions in use across the industry; continuously learning new data technologies and introducing these into the organization when relevant.
10) Continually improve ongoing reporting and analysis processes and automating or simplifying self-service support.
11) Ensures best practices are followed and business objectives are achieved by focusing on process improvements.
12) Works in coordination and collaboration with other team members to develop and implement appropriate solutions to complex problems.
13) Assist with project management responsibilities and prepare supporting project management documentation as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field.
• 5 to 7 years detailed experience with data warehousing and business intelligence technologies.
• At least 2 years of experience with the following technologies: Azure Synapse (SQL Data Warehousing), Azure Data Factory, Azure Data Lake, Azure Databricks and Azure Logic Apps.
• At least one Azure cloud end-to-end data warehouse implementation and end-to-end data on-premises warehouse implementation.
• Deep understanding of common database technologies, such as SQL Database/Server, Azure Synapse, and other data sources, such as Azure Data Lake Storage and Azure Blob Storage.
• Detailed, hands-on working knowledge of relational / dimensional modeling, big data strategies, SQL, security standards, BI tools, ETL tools and Microsoft technologies such as Power BI and Power Automate.
• Experience working with Azure DevOps including creating repos, pipelines and quality gates, and experience with Data Modeling concepts and implementation.
• Understanding of scripting languages, including R, Python, Scala, and SQL.
• Experience with Automation and Infrastructure as Code concepts using tooling such as ARM Templates, and experience manipulating RESTful APIs to programmatically automate manual tasks.
• Knowledge of Master Data Management (MDM) and Data Quality tools and processes.
• Ability to conduct data profiling, cataloging, and mapping for technical design and construction of technical data flows.
• Deep understanding of using data and analytics services to solve enterprise data challenges and extensive architecture and design experience with complex applications across various data sources and platforms.
• Proficient in distributed computing principals and has extensive experience designing solutions that leverage a diverse assortment of data sources.
• Understanding of data governance, creating data dictionaries and how to accelerate digital transformation using advanced analytics, artificial intelligence (AI), and Big Data.
• Experience developing and managing data quality monitoring and working with data governance councils and stewards, including creating and tracking KPIs and data dictionaries.
• Self-motivated and driven individual who has a strong analytical skills and technical understanding across a broad range of technologies and solutions.
• Innovative thinker who is positive, proactive and embraces change. Must be a fast learner when it comes to programming languages and technology.
• Responsible for on-call duties to provide support during on and off hours.
• Experience interacting with employees at all levels, from entry level to senior leadership.
• Experience making difficult project-impacting decisions in a timely manner.
• Experience working in a environment where there are time and priority constraints.